5.18.2011

Best Pasta Sauce Ever!

This is not my recipe (duh).  But I think it will officially be my signature meal by the time I'm 40; cause I feel like that's when you need signature meals. Everyone needs to try it...it's so delicious!  If you don't like it, I'll give you your money back. 

I made it this past Monday night for the second time, and I'd like to share some of my thoughts about preparing it.  The second time around, I cut the prep/cooking time down by about 40 minutes by skipping the step where you have to crush and pass the tomatoes through a sieve.  I did this the first time and I only had a tiny tiny sieve and it took forever!  Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you had a regular sized one.  But, I don't think that part's necessary anyway.  Because, as you'll see if you make it, everything from the can ends up in the pan anyway;  and you also run everything through a blender at the end, so it still felt pointless.  So,  I  tried it this time and skipped the sieve part.  Instead, I just poured the entire contents of the whole tomato cans into the pan and crushed them with this handy instrument from Pampered Chef, or a potato masher would do.  


But I warn you...stand back and press slowly when crushing the tomatoes because they are juicy and can cause quite a mess.

Also, I just want to say for the record that if some of you out there don't have this awesome garlic press, you don't know what you're missing!  Everything about it is perfect.  We had a Chefmate garlic press before and it was just bad.  And before that, we were hand mincing.  But now, my garlic press and I can mince a clove of garlic in .2 seconds.  It's amazing.  I never knew I could love a kitchen tool so much. 

My last suggestion is to rough chop the fresh oregano before you put it in.  The recipe doesn't say to, but I did anyway the first time I made this recipe.  This time around, I decided not to  and instead put it in straight from the stem.  I wouldn't recommend doing that as I did not like having such big pieces of fresh oregano in my mouth...it was really strong.  So I would say give the oregano a rough chop. 

I lied...one more thing.  I use good ol' grated Parmesan cheese instead of freshly shredded  Parmesan because it's way less expensive and tastes just as good when combined with the rest of the ingredients.  

The recipe made enough for dinner for the two of us for two nights.  It is really really good and I promise you'll like it.  Here was the final product:


Tonight for dinner we had pork tenderloin with apples and onions, cauliflower with garlic and bread crumbs and macaroni and cheese.  I will post recipes and pics for that meal soon.  And, on Friday we're having a carrot and cumin tart.  Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment