8.23.2011

Gelatina: Grandma's Recipe

One of my all time favorite desserts is my Grandma's gelatina (pronounced hala-thee-na).  My sisters and I are obsessed with it.  It always seemed like one of those things that was too good to ever be able to make yourself.  Like some type of concoction Grandma created that she probably didn't have a written recipe for anyway.  But, my mom finally got her to put it into measurements last year as a recipe to bring to our wedding shower.  Gelatina was finally demystified!  

Gelatina is basically jello, but definitely not your average.  First off, it's not transparent.  It's straight up solid white. And it has Kahlúa in it, which makes it extra special. If you're feeling froggy, and you want to try something different, you should try this recipe.

You'll need: 
  • 2 cans of Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
  • 1 box of Knox Original Gelatine (unflavored) (4 envelopes per box)
  • Kahlúa
  • Milk   


(The last time I made this, I only made a half batch, so that's why the above picture shows only one can of condensed milk.  The recipe described here is for a full batch). 

Steps:
  1. Pour 1/3 cups of milk into a small bowl; add 4 packs of Knox Gelatine.  Set the bowl aside.
  2. Empty 2 cans of condensed milk into a medium saucepan. 
  3. Use one of the empty cans to pour 3 cans full of milk into the medium sauce pan.
  4. Add 6 oz. of extra milk to the can, stirring the can to get the leftover condensed milk from the sides and pour into the medium sauce pan. 
  5. Now pour the contents from the small bowl into the saucepan; whisk or stir until all of the powder is dissolved.  
  6. Put the saucepan over medium heat and warm up the contents; stir while warming and do not boil. 
  7. After the contents of the saucepan are warm, stir in 2 tbs of Kahlúa.  (I like to add 1/2 to 1 tbs extra because you can never have too much Kahlúa). 
  8. Pour into jello bowl and refrigerate until firm or overnight.
  9. Enjoy!
I accidentally deleted a picture I took of the final product, but luckily, my sister made a batch this past weekend for Ava's birthday, and it snuck into the below picture on the right hand side of the table next to the cupcakes.  


(More on Ava's birthday and the making of those beach-themed cupcakes later).  

When Alessandro found out I was writing this post about gelatina, he asked if I was going to mention its controversial nature; I wasn't going to because I think people who don't like this dessert are insane, but he thought it would only be fair that I presented both sides.  Some people don't like the texture (Jeff, my sister's husband); and Alessandro said he thought it was weird at first, but has grown to like it.  That's it.  That's the controversy.  

But don't let that stop you!  I encourage everyone to try this recipe...and if you do, I'd love to hear how it goes!   

P.S.  I made gelatina on Monday and luckily enjoyed it for dessert for a couple of days.  When I got home after hanging with my bff's on Friday night, Alessandro, who was already sleeping, woke up and said, "I have some bad news."  "What?"  I asked.  "You're going to be really mad.  We lost something.  It was an accident."  "What?!" I demanded.  "When I opened the fridge, the gelatina fell out and the bottom of the jello mold popped off and it dropped on the floor.  There's no more gelatina."  Silence.  Me:  "You need to be more careful."  More silence as I brewed, but tried not to cry.  Did I mention I love this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment