8.17.2011

Swordfish and Mango Salsa

This post is for our friend, Kate.  When we told her we cooked swordfish with mango salsa one night for dinner she asked if we could share the recipe.  That was several months ago, and I still have not written it down to share with her.  But, we made it again last night for dinner and I could think of no better time to get my arse in gear and share this delicious and fresh dinner with you too.  

For the mango salsa, you’ll need:  a mango, avacado, tomato, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime.  

Not pictured:  jalapeno

Mango salsa is not an exact science; you'll use as much of each ingredient as you think your taste buds will appreciate. (From the above-pictured ingredients, I used the tiniest amount from that huge tomato and red onion, the whole avacado and mango (duh), a handful of cilantro and both limes). 
  1. Dice the mango, avacado, tomato and red onion.  
  2. De-seed and dice the jalapeno. 
  3. Rough chop the cilantro. 
  4. Squeeze the juice of 1-2 limes into the bowl.
  5. Season with salt and pepper; mix everything together.
  6. Taste.  Adjust.  Enjoy. 


In case anyone is intimidated by peeling mangos, this is the technique that I use: 


I cut off a bit on each side and a slice off of the top.  Then use a sharp knife to skin it.  Depending on the mango, you may be able to just peel the skin right off using your hands. Oh yeah, and don't forget to suck all of the flesh off of the core before throwing it out.  Or is that just me?  Never mind.

For the swordfish: 
  1. Heat a grill pan over medium heat until it’s nice and hot.
  2. Pat dry the swordfish steaks and season.  We used salt, pepper and a fish blackening seasoning (even though we didn't blacken it).  
  3. Cook it on the grill pan for about 5 minutes on each side; 10 minutes total.  (For added flare, you can rotate it a bit to get “x” grill marks.  That’s Alessandro’s touch).
  4.  Serve with mango salsa...

 


...and your favorite seafood wine.  We like Rosé, and this particular one is from Blackstar Farms. 



I really do enjoy swordfish, even though I am not a big seafood eater.  I first ate swordfish at Angelina during Wine Night Wednesday and I liked it so much I thought it would be fun to make it at home.  Alessandro was very surprised (he loves seafood) because I typically can't get over seafood's "fishy" taste.  But swordfish is a great starter fish for the not-so-gung-ho seafood eaters in your family as well as seafood connoisseurs.  And is it possible that anything topped with mango salsa not be good?  I don't think so. 

Anyone else have any other fish recipes you think we should try?  

4 comments:

  1. Josh and I will be making this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Mod! I can't wait to make it!!

    ReplyDelete