9.19.2011

Bloggin-spiration

It's great to find inspiration while surfing the web.  (That way your hours spent in the blogosphere don't feel like a complete waste of time...only a partial)The inspiration I found recently came in the form of a new hairstyle and a DIY infinity scarf.  Completing these two things took a total of 5 minutes, so I really recommend anyone who has that much free time to grab a headband and some scissors (don't worry, the scissors are for the scarf making process, not the hairstyle) and get started!  

I stumbled upon this video tutorial on how to create vintage curls with no heat, which I originally saw here.  So this past weekend, I decided to try it out.  After I got out of the shower, I let my hair air dry a bit and then followed the instructions.  People, try this.  It's super easy and really works.  It took me about 1 minute to prepare my hair for the curls to set (you can see the final product of that stage at about 7 minutes into the video).  The demonstrator in the video recommends you either do this at night after getting out of the shower and sleep on it overnight, or do it in the daytime after the shower, wear it as a hairstyle, then sleep on it that night and take out your curls in the morning.  Dang, that's a long time!  But, 4 hours into having my hair in the curl-set stage, I got antsy and had to take it out.  Much to my surprise, I had a pretty good set of wavy curls going on.  Hold your horses...there's a picture at the end, but not until I tell you about my scarf...

I found this demo on how to make a scarf out of an old t-shirt. 


Two things I love:  scarves and re-purposing items.  I stumbled upon it when I was googling whether I could tie a regular scarf into a pseudo-infinity scarf since I've been wanting one of those bad boys since last year, but never acquired one.  This DIY project was right up my alley--free, fast and fashionable.  I pinned it, to come back to at some point, but as chance would have it, only one day later I came across the perfect t-shirt to use. 

It was an old t-shirt of my dads, which was obviously something I wanted to keep forever.  It had been stashed away in the closet for the past couple of years, and I thought that making it into something I would use frequently was a great way to keep it out of the closet and close to me.  So, I grabbed my scissors and started cutting.  1 minute later, I had a very special infinity scarf. 

Here I am with my no-heat curls and my new t-shirt infinity scarf.  


To celebrate all of the newness going on, Al and I decided to trek it to Ikea for the first time eva.  It was weird!  Who knew they had a full scale cafeteria going on?  When I heard they had food, I thought it was something low scale like how Art-Van used to give away cookies...but joke was on me.  After perusing the entirety of the store for 2 hours, we left with a new down comforter and this duvet.  I did not know that you had to pay .59 for a bag, and I didn't think to bring my own, so there's the tip of the day.

P.S.  Follow me on Pinterest!  I'm fairly new to the process, so I don't have much going on yet, but you may see that I'm looking for inspiration to makeover our bedroom and living room.  Maybe since we both recently had birthdays we're feeling the need for a more grown up style? Whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment