1.12.2012

Belle Isle in the Winter

My Aunt Lu-Lu is a trooper.  You can find her working out on Belle Isle in all sorts of weather--rain, snow, wind, sun, doesn't matter.  She loves the island, and lovingly refers to it as "My island."  So in taking advantage of the unseemly nice weather that we've been having lately in the D, I asked her if I could tag along with her on her next outing.  The next day, we found ourselves on the island. 

We had the entire place to ourselves and it was pretty cool.  We power walked the length of the island--about 5 miles--and took a few pics.  

Belle Isle is filled with such beauty.  The golden weeping willow trees, the lakes, the swans and ducks, the skyline, it is all such fun scenery that made my workout seem like two hours of sight seeing. 





















I told you my Aunt is a trooper--she was wearing a weight vest and strap on weights over her gloves.  She's climbing the Ren Cen in March--70 flights of stairs--to benefit the American Lung Association, and has registered for just about every other upcoming local run you've heard of.  She even participated in the Belle Isle fun run this past New Year's Eve. 

Meanwhile, my butt is super sore from walking those 5 miles. 

When is the last time you've been to Belle Isle?   And did you know that the same man who designed Central Park in NYC designed Belle Isle?  And that Belle Isle is larger than Central Park? 

7 comments:

  1. I work with your Aunt Lu-Lu, she's so much fun! I hope to join her in one of her events this year too.

    Great pics! I love seeing lovely pictures of our fair city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/13/2012

    LMAO, You did a Great job nunu, I forward this to a couple of my co-workers. Belle Isle looks BEAUTIFUL.



    Love,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/13/2012

    i love this! yes you have a very special aunt. We love her here at HAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you everyone! I appreciate the nice comments. I'll keep more Detroit pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...Thanks for the comment on the coasters. I just went back to the comments on that post a few minutes ago and realized I never responded to you.

    To answer your question, I'd love for you to send me the info about the Pinterest challenge that you take part in. I'm interested in doing the projects; it's just about finding the time and motivation.

    I figured this would be the best way to contact you back about it since you get no notification when there's a reply to your comment (something I don't like about this website). Who knows? Maybe you wont even get this comment since this post is now several days old.

    By the way, did you delete your Facebook account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie!

      I do get notified via email whenever there is a comment to my posts. Here's how you can make that happen: through your dashboard, go into settings, then mobile and email, and there is a section that says something like, "comment notification email," and you can enter your email address there and you will get notified any time there is a comment on your blog post.

      I also learned that by clicking on "subscribe by email" after you leave a comment on another blog, you will be sent an email if there are comments left after your comment. This could be annoying if you comment on blogs w/ a lot of traffic, but if you're commenting here, or on other less frequented blogs, it might be helpful; that way you know when someone responds to your comment.

      And I'm just recently seeing that there is an added feature where you can hit "Reply" to a specific comment instead of just adding another comment. I'm pretty sure this is fairly new.

      Also, yes, I did delete my FB account. I didn't feel I was getting anything useful out of it, and I seem to be easily irritated lately, so signing into FB usually just left me rolling my eyes. I wish I was able to be less annoyed with it...maybe one day.

      Also, I will for sure let you know when the next Pinterest challenge comes along. The fun/scary thing about it is that you only have 1 week to complete it, and being able to share your project w/ thousands of people seems, for me, to be enough of a motivator to get it done.

      Do I have your correct email address? I have a wowway one for you. If that's not it, can you send me the right one?

      Delete
    2. My email address is klewis@wowway.com.
      Thanks for the info. I figured there must be a way to get those things done, considering the nature of the website. Hoping to talk to you soon!

      Delete