1.30.2012

Belle Isle's Ice Tree

In 34 degree temps, Aunt Lu-Lu and I ventured off on another enjoyable 5 mile walk around the Island last week.  There is something so relaxing about being outside--even in the cold winter months.  It's good for the soul, as my Aunt says.  The fresh air really does make you feel good...and it wasn't as cold as one might think it would have been.  (Especially since I had on 3 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and hand warmers inside of my mittens!  Ha!)

My Aunt introduced me to Belle Isle's Ice Tree last time we were on the Island.  But it wasn't even close to freezing then, with the unusually nice January weather.  But this time, it was at its beginning stages of freezing.  (I didn't take my camera with me this time, so pardon the poor quality of these phone pics.) 



If you look closely at the top, you'll see that water sprouts out of the pipe at the top of the tree.  



I wish I would have had enough sense to have recorded a video of my Aunt trying to walk up to the tree.   It might have been one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.  As you can imagine, the area surrounding the tree is SO icy and dangerous and there is nothing to hold onto if you lose your balance.  It's a miracle she didn't fall on her arse...oh wait....she did. 


We were cracking up!  And luckily a gentleman and his grand-kids pulled up just in time for the show.  Poor Tia Lu-Lu walked away defeated.


And wet.

I look forward to seeing the tree get as big as it did in 2009:

Image found here.

Maybe next time we'll bring our ice skates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment