2.22.2012

My Top 5 Favorite New Eats and Drinks

Let me share with you a few of my new favorite things that are making me way more excited about life than they should, if I may:

First, I recently discovered ellis island tropical tea


I was in love after my first sip.  And after reading about how the tea was an old recipe that the owner's great grandfather mastered and kept as a family secret "to be sold, not told," along with a sweet article highlighting the founder's journey to market her family recipe, made me a customer for life.  Oh yeah, forgot to say:  it's all natural, it's brewed in Detroit, the founder is a woman who grew up in the D, and the tea is so, so good! Can't get much better than that.  TRY IT PLEASE!  (Found at a Westborn Market near you, Honeybee, Avalon Bakery, Starters Bar and Grill and other select stores found here; if you can't make it to these stores, and want to try it, let me know and I'll pick some up for you!)

My second favorite thing this week is good ol' Coconut Water.


Honeybee had a sale this week - 5 cans for $5, and I bought a bag full.  Coconut water, strained and over ice is a real treat!  (Strained because it has coconut meat in it and I don't really like to chew when I drink).  Coconut water is a great source of potassium (one serving provides more than a banana) and it's a great way to change things up if your water intake is getting boring.   Not only is coconut water good by itself, but it is also the base for my next favorite thing...

Montel Williams' Daily Energy Smoothie.  Much thanks to my sis who alerted us that Montel was recently on Dr. Oz talking about how he deals with his MS.  We looked up a few clips online, and I think I'll be sharing some of them with you here in the future.  Aless and I both shed tears in watching him passionately share his struggles and everything he's overcome.  He is so knowledgeable about the history of the disease and development of treatment options, and is a great inspiration and spokesperson for the disease.  He shared with viewers this recipe for his daily energy smoothie.  I immediately made a batch for Alessandro for the week and it is great!  (I was hoping he would chug a glass, then get up and start running around the living room...but that didn't happen).  
The recipe says to blend the following to make enough for smoothies throughout the week:  2 pints of cut up pineapple, 2 pints of cut up watermelon, 2 quarts of coconut water, 1 bag of baby spinach, 1 bag of frozen blueberries and 2 green apples or 2 bananas.  I cut the recipe in half and it made four 16 oz. servings.  And since I don't measure in pints or quarts, here's the conversion for ya:  2 pints = 4 cups, 2 quarts = 8 cups or 64 oz. and for the spinach and blueberries, it's not an exact science, so I used a couple handfuls of spinach and a standard 16 oz. bag of frozen blueberries. Super delicious.  Super easy.  Super high hopes that it will increase Al's energy level.  (So far he's only had 2 of these bad boys, so not much to report). 

I'm done with drinks now, and am moving on to eats.  This egg sandwich is one of my new favorite things.

via A Cup of Jo

Made it.  Loved it.  Had to share it.  It's very very easy and fast!  Alessandro really liked it too.  It's super cheesy, so don't be tempted to add two pieces of cheese--one slice is plenty.  I love how it's crĂªpe-like.  It will be a staple in our home for years to come. 

I'm so bad and have no pics of either the energy smoothie or the egg sandwich because I froze and wrapped the smoothies before I remembered to snap a pic and we ate our egg sandwiches in haste right before walking out the door.  But I can tell you that my samich (that's how I say sandwich) did not look like the above pic.  It was definitely less perfect, but I'm sure not any less delicious.  

And lastly, Susie's Homemade Granola.  Again, I have no pics to share with you (lazy alert), but I assure you I followed her recipe exactly.  Alessandro and I have been eating parfaits for breakfast a lot lately.  He makes his own special berry compote, and so when I saw this granola recipe, I thought it would be a perfect accompaniment to our parfaits.  And I was right.  The granola smelled so good cooking and while it was cooling, I found Alessandro with a spoon digging in.  I recommend giving this granola recipe a try!  

(Oh yeah, Susie is Alessandro's friend from college, Luke's, little sister and Julie and Sara's sister-in-law).  Did you catch all that?  Grammatically, what is actually the proper way to write that sentence?  I think my comma and possessions may be off.  

What are you feeling this week?  Anything fun you have been itching to share?  I'd love to be shared with.


5 comments:

  1. saw this, thought of you! http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/living/ireport-pinterest/index.html?hpt=hp_bn8

    and p.s. broil a grapefruit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, you know I will! I saw it on Pinterest a while back and passed over it, but since it has your and Luke's endorsement, I'm on it!

    And thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! i'm so glad you tried the granola and liked it!! p.s. that egg sandwich is making me drool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got some use from that episode! I'm going to try all of the above :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. Thanks again for alerting me. You'll LOVE the smoothie.

      Delete