8.08.2012

Plant-Based Dinner: Kale and Pan-Fried White Beans

I was at my friend's house this weekend and he has the most magnificent garden.  He's growing pumpkins, squash, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, kale and many other things I've no doubt left out.  (Not to mention a vineyard as well!)  He has had so much kale this season that he's always in the market for a new recipe.  I wanted to share with him one of my favorite kale recipes and what better time than during plant-based food week(s) here on the blog?    

Kale and Pan-Fried White Beans with Lemon and Nutmeg anyone? 

Mmmk.  Here's what you need: 


2 cans of white beans rinsed and drained (or use dried beans that you soak and prepare yourself)
2/3 cup of lightly toasted walnuts
Zest of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1-2 bunches of kale, stemmed and finely chopped (I use 1 bunch if I get it from the farmer's market since the bunches tend to be larger or 2 bunches if I get it from the grocery store, which sells more measly bunches).

Oh yeah...and the most important ingredient is the laptop computer with the recipe, which is originally from 101 Cookbooks, a great natural food blog that I've come to depend on and that I've referenced here and here.



I doubled the original recipe so that we could have leftovers, left out the cheese and substituted canned white beans for dried corona beans for the sake of time and ease.  The recipe I've laid out above will give you 4 servings.   

After all of your ingredients are prepped, finish it off by doing the following: 

  1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in the deepest skillet you have.  (I would recommend using a dutch oven if you have one, which will make it easier to keep the kale in the pan).  
  2. Add the beans and stir to coat.  Cook them for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. 
  3. Add the kale and salt to the pan and cook for about a minute, until the kale just starts to wilt. 
  4. Stir in the walnuts and garlic.   
  5. Stir in the nutmeg. 
  6. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. 
That's it.  It's on the stove top for less than 10 minutes and you are left with a warm, home cooked, hearty bowl of healthy deliciousness. 

  
(Note:  the reason my beans are not that golden crispy brown that you would be going for in this recipe is because I was really hungry the day I made this and was too impatient to wait the allotted time for browning.  Just as good though in case you find yourself in a similarly dire circumstance).   

I hope you try the recipe and love it!  I'm confident it will be a staple for all you kale loving fools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment