1.20.2013

Coffee and Corticosteroids - Day 5 (Finally!)


We've been having a little too much fun this weekend, so pardon our delay in bringing you the last day's update.  I know everyone has been sitting by their computers with great anticipation.   

Our supplies for Day 5 looked a bit different.   


Alessandro said that he had been staring at the tiny bit of Knob Creek that we had left since Monday and he thought that he needed to finish it off in celebration of his final dose.

My job, other than to poor the whiskey, was to take the line out of his arm.  So his arm went from this...


...to this as I pulled the tape off...


...to this.


And this is kind of a gross picture, but Alessandro would want me to show you what was actually in his arm, so here it is.


And here's Alessandro once the line was finally out of his arm.  It was about 9:30 a.m. at that point, so that might be the earliest whiskey shot ever.  And yes, he wore the same shirt 3 days in a row for some reason. Said something about not wanting to dirty another shirt.


Later that night, we went out for drinks and dinner.  We went to St. Cece's in Corktown and enjoyed good whiskey, food and conversation. 



Alessandro was very happy to get out of the house .  I know that because he kept saying, "Thanks for making me get out of the house today.  I'm having a good time."  It was my pleasure. 

He had a good appetite that day.  For dinner he had Coq au Vin, which he loved.  


And I had the Cece's Burger, which was awesome.


Alessandro had cinnamon cheesecake for dessert and hasn't gotten it out of his mind since. 


We finished the night with double espressos at Great Lakes, one of my favorite places in the City.




To say that we were happy to be done with the week is an understatement.  

Also, Alessandro just told me that he has been keeping notes this week, so here they are straight from the source.  


This Week According to Alessandro:  


I can be a pain in the ass, even though I really wasn’t this time.

The doctor told me to immediately insert whiskey into my bloodstream.

My feet are swollen and fat, need sleep.

I didn’t sleep much in the end.

Marilena has to be the most patient person.

She took care of me, she was a great nurse except for the fact that she kept playing with the IV flush plungers.

I didn’t do shit all week.

It was the easiest week of steroids.

It’s hard not being able to do stuff for yourself, but Marilena makes it easy.

The thingy successfully stayed in my arm.

Our week appropriately ended with coffee.



Thanks, Alessandro for that wonderful insight.  Here is the song he selected for the final day.  The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden.



While the steroids are done for now, we will continue to wait to see how effective they have been.  Alessandro has an MRI coming up, and then we will be considering his medication options.  There are still many things to unfold, and I will try to update here, so come back and visit!  


* * * 


For the full Coffee and Corticosteroids series, check out the preliminariesDay 1Day 2Day 3 and Day 4.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see a long hard week came to a satisfying end. I'll be hoping for some good news post-steroids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Katie. He's been doing alright...could be better, but we have some more medical plans in our future that might help him out a bit more. We appreciate your hoping for us.

      Delete