4.10.2013

A Breakfast of Champions

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  I try to never go without it so I make sure that I have a few go-to options to turn to throughout the week.  Four of my favorites are:  (1) toast topped with avocado and cherry tomatoes (bread of choice is Avalon's wheaty wheat), (2) this cereal, (3) a tropical smoothie, or (4) baked oatmeal topped with fruit. 

I'd like to share the baked oatmeal recipe with you.  It's very delicious, satisfying, healthy and is made in advance for added convenience.    


Baked Oatmeal Squares *Adapted from this recipe*

Dry ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1-2 mashed bananas (1 large or 2 small)
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the wet ingredients and mix together.  Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking pan (I use spray olive oil). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.  

After the batch has cooled completely, you can cover it tightly and leave at room temperature.  

At breakfast time, cut a square (a whole batch makes 9 squares) and serve over warm almond milk and top with strawberries, blueberries and bananas.  My method is to pour a shallow amount of almond milk in a microwave safe bowl, place a cut square of oatmeal on top, and microwave for 1 minute.  (Our microwave is from 1979 so heating in a better functioning device may take only 30 seconds).  You want the milk just warm, not hot.  


The final result is a warm, chewy, fresh, fruit filled bowl of goodness to start your day off right. 

I hope you try this recipe.  If you do, I'm certain it will become a go-to breakfast for you and your family.  It's so good it sometimes doubles as dessert around these parts.  

Enjoy!

P.S.  If you're like me and wondering if you can substitute agave nectar for brown sugar, don't do it.  I tried it and it was a bust.  It's perfect as is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment