6.20.2013

Independence

Alessandro recently got a scooter.  


We have had it for only a few weeks, but it has already changed both of our lives dramatically.

The words really should come from Alessandro's mouth about how it has helped, so I won't even attempt to do it justice here.  But I did want to note a couple of important events, moments and milestones we have already experienced.

On June 2, 2013, four days after Alessandro got his scooter, he exercised his new-gained independence in a big way.  It was a Saturday morning and I was out of town for work.  It was a nice day and he decided that he wanted to go to Eastern Market.  So he went on his own.  Just him!

He got on his scooter and off he rode to EM.  It took him only 6 minutes to get there on his scooter, which is about how long it takes to walk there from our place. Sure, he had a few hiccups along the way, like dropping his wallet on the way there, discovering it only at the moment that he went to pay for something, riding back over his tracks to find it, running into a couple who told him that they found his wallet and looked at his license to find his address and walked to our apartment to turn his wallet in!, returning to the apartment to get his wallet and then heading back up there.  Whew.  But he was on a mission.  And his mission?  To get me flowers.

*      *      *

That same night, we walked to St. Andrew's for a concert, which is about a 15 minute walk from our place.  The walk there and back was so special and is a moment I will cherish and remember for a long time.  Previously, whenever we walked somewhere of distance, I would push him in a wheelchair, only get to look at the top of his head, and would be sweaty and tired by the time we arrived at our destination.  He couldn't see me at all, and would have to turn his head around if he wanted me to hear what he was saying.  Eye contact, exchanged glances, smiles and expressions tend to get lost in those circumstances.  But not that night.  Al was on his scooter, I got to walk comfortably beside him, he had control over his movements, and we got to look at each other while we walked and talked. What a novel concept!  It was a freedom neither one of us had felt in a long time and it was pretty cool.

June 2, 2013 - Leaving the Devendra concert at St. Andrew's


A few days later, Alessandro got a little more ambitious and decided to go to an afternoon Tiger's game by himself.  I was in court for a speeding ticket that day (dang!) so I couldn't go with him, but I met up with him at the game when I got out of court, which was just in time to catch an inning and a half of baseball.  I got to walk home with him, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do. It's the little things, people. 

June 6, 2013 - Al's First Solo Tiger's Game

I don't really know many perfectly mobile people who would go to a Tiger's game by themselves.  Alessandro, on the other hand, didn't think twice.   He's nothing if not impressive.  

3 comments:

  1. Let the good times roll (literally).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Al & Mod!!! I know you must be over the moon, so many new adventures!! Have fun!! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. Really puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete