9.16.2013

Contemplating Meatballs



Alessandro and I were sitting eating leftover spaghetti for lunch today.  It's his mom's famous recipe.  I served him 4 meatballs knowing how much he loves them. 

At one point during lunch, he started talking about how Dexter has "just gotten so stupid."  He thinks it's the acting.  He's just not impressed.  

I sort of snapped at him.  "Why do you care so much about Dexter?  Why are you letting it bother you so much?" [This was about the fifth time he has complained about the quality of Dexter in the last month, and I just couldn't understand why a television show should get under his skin enough to warrant so much of his attention].

Changing the subject, he said, "I'm glad I went for that 4th meatball."

"Huh?" I said. 

"I've been debating whether or not to eat that 4th meatball and I finally decided to do it and I'm glad I did."

"How exactly did that debate go for you in your head?"   

"Well, I was thinking:  Wow, I really enjoyed those 3 meatballs.  They were really good.  I bet that 4th meatball is just as good.  But, I don't know if I want to have 4 meatballs sitting in my stomach.  I'm not sure if I'm gonna suffer any type of blow-back from eating that 4th meatball or not.  I'm not sure if it's gonna be worth it."  

"Seriously?"

"Yeah.  I did a cost-benefit analysis and decided to go for it.  I'm glad I did.  It was good."  

"I think you may need to stop analyzing things so much. You want to eat a 4th meatball, eat a 4th meatball. You watch a television show you don't like, stop watching the show.  Don't let it bother you."  

"Yeah, maybe," he said.  "I'll think about it."  


Looks like I've got a contemplative one on my hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment